Our site has seen a number of church buildings: from the first saxon church founded by St Aldhelm in 685AD, through its later substantial stone replacement, to the Norman structure of the late C12 and its gradual extension until reaching the present footprint around 1420.
The centuries have also seen much internal change: from saxon simplicity to medieval glory, followed by radical puritan simplification and then nineteenth century restoration and decoration in the context of Anglo-Catholic revival and the Oxford movement.
From our archives and others we can piece together some of that story:
To find out more about our church building look at:
The historian and broadcaster, Michael Wood, talking about our Saxon roots at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KcJUeV0Ho