Early nineteenth century view of St John's Parish Church from the North-East. This detail is reproduced from the cover of the booklet 'Light in Selwood' - A short history of St John's Church, Frome, by Michael McGarvie BA FSA. The water colour from which it originates was painted, with some degree of artistic licence, by W W Wheatley in 1845 and is believed to be with the Society of Antiquaries of London.
An early twentieth century view of the approach to St John's down Gentle Street. The iron railings just visible in front of the West End of the Church were removed during the second World War.
This view of St John's from the South-East was painted in the early nineteenth century before the restoration work which involved the complete rebuilding of the South Aisle. In the shadowy end of the St Andrew's chapel can be seen signs of the stonework blocking up the doorway through which the town fire-engine was brought in and out before the 1820's.
The West End of St John's showing the large forecourt area and the gateway onto Bath Street. This area was cleared of old properties when the new Bath Street was cut in 1814.
A more recent view from the graveyard on the South side of St John's. The churchyard is now closed for burials and in the care of the local authority. The tower dates back to the middle ages and houses a peal of eight bells of which the oldest predate the civil war and the largest weighs some 31 cwt.
Comparison of the window shapes in the South Aisle with the picture above shows something of the changes made during the comprehensive Victorian restoration work from 1840 through until 1870.
A view from the North-West corner showing the distinctive 'Via Crucis' leading to the North Porch. At the extreme left lower corner of the picture can be seen the surrounds of the well from which natural springs emerge having flowed under the church site.